← Home
Celebrity

Meghan Markle’s Reported The Gentlemen Acting Role Withdrawn After UK Backlash

By Luke Richard
· · 2 min read Full version →

Meghan Markle’s reported return to acting through Guy Ritchie’s Netflix series The Gentlemen may no longer be moving forward. Tina Brown, the former editor-in-chief of Vanity Fair and The New Yorker, reported that Markle’s proposed casting for the show’s third season had been withdrawn following intense backlash in the United Kingdom.

The development came shortly after reports suggested the former Suits star was in discussions to make her acting comeback in The Gentlemen. However, the potential role had not been officially announced by Netflix, and a third season of the series has not yet been confirmed.

Tina Brown Says The Casting Became “Untenable”

In her Substack newsletter, Tina Brown wrote,

“I learned this morning that the casting of Meghan Markle in season 3 of Guy Ritchie’s Netflix series The Gentlemen has been withdrawn.”

Brown added,

“The backlash in the UK was so intense, it became untenable to go forward. This does not bode well for Meghan’s acting comeback in the UK.”

Theo James leads Netflix’s crime drama The Gentlemen, created by Guy Ritchie and adapted from his 2019 film. (Image via Netflix)

The Hollywood Reporter had previously reported that Markle was in advanced discussions to join the potential third season, with a role reportedly being developed for her. The outlet also said it contacted Markle’s representative and WME, which represents both Markle and Ritchie, but did not receive a response. Brown reportedly stood by her reporting.

Even if the reported casting had moved forward, Markle would not have appeared in the upcoming second season of The Gentlemen. Netflix has confirmed that Season 2, led by Theo James and Kaya Scodelario, premieres on September 3.

Season 3 has yet to receive an official renewal, making the reports about Markle’s involvement dependent on the show’s future continuation. Her potential role would have marked a major acting return after she stepped away from her career following her engagement to Prince Harry.

For now, the situation remains unconfirmed by Netflix, Markle or Ritchie. Brown’s report indicates that the casting was withdrawn, but without an official statement from the production, the full circumstances behind the reported decision remain unclear.

Senior Writer and Editorial Strategist

Luke Richard is a senior writer and editorial strategist at Celebriet, focusing on long-form celebrity dating features and relationship deep dives. Alongside writing, he helps shape content direction, ensuring articles align with SEO priorities and audience intent. He also reviews drafts to maintain consistency in tone and structure across the platform.

Reading the AMP version?

View Full Experience →